Founded 1903 : ECB Clubmark Accredited September 2010 : Member Since 1997
1903 was an epic year: many firsts took place. The Wright Brothers made the first powered flight: President Roosevelt sent the first cable message across the Pacific: the Panama Canal was constructed and here at home Walton Heath Golf Club and Tadworth Cricket Club were formed and don’t forget the founding of Vauxhall and Ford (Model T Ford fame).
Initially the club played on a ground 400 yard North of the present ground somewhere between Workhouse Pond and the large roundabout on the A217. To the North of this site was a Public House called the Red Lion and to-day, this part of the A217 is still known by the locals as Red Lion Hill.
When the Club moved to its present site on the Common – Banstead Newton – opposite the Duke’s Head Public House is uncertain but it would appear to be before the first World War. The Green was much smaller in those days and was just large enough for a cricket ground with a marquee being erected every Saturday. Initially the square ran at right angles to its present layout.
In 1919 a sum of £200 was raised to commemorate the home-coming from the war. A large area was cleared (aided by some very hard stone picking work by the younger players), ploughed and seeded to give the spacious ground it is today.
Between the wars a small pavilion was erected very close to the Dorking Road. This was dismantled during the Second World War and stored in a local builders yard when the Common became a gun site. Later, vehicles and ammunition were stored on the site prior to D-Day. In 1951 the small pavilion was replaced with a much larger one on the other side of the ground. This pavilion served the club for 40 years. Initially it had calor gas lighting, no bar and no showers. A bar was created in the late 1960s: electricity was installed in 1978: showers were added in the winter of 1979/80 and the bar was extended 3 years later.
Source: History Page @ www.tadworthcricketclub.co.uk
Surrey Downs League Representative: Craig Stevenson – 07969 594438
- 1st Xi Team Captain: Mike Wren-Kirkham – 07967 178989
- 2nd Team Captain: Simon Harris – 07901 888983
- Fixture Secretary: Hugh Weston 01372 270957
- Hon. Secretary: Bruce Paul
- Welfare Officer: Paul
Directions: We are on the corner of Mill Road and Dorking Road just off the A217 . Parking is best in Mill Road about half way along adjacent to our Clubhouse.
NB Please do not park on the white lines – this is just in case of an emergency e.g. Fire, Ambulance and or Police – it could be for you so do not park on the white lines – access could be needed any time.
The Green, Mill Road, TADWORTH, Surrey KT20 7TE
England – United Kingdom – UK
This page was last reviewed and updated 8 June 2019